Sunday 7 July 2013

On turning 50

I've always been one who believes that celebrating decade birthdays is important and one should never be depressed about growing older if we consider the alternative. We who grow older have been granted a privilege and we should embrace it as such. So as I turned 50 here I Ecuador two events caused me to be reminded of how simple things are sometimes the most important.

In all the years, countries and places I've travelled in the world, I've never had much more than a tummy upset that couldn't be cured with a bit of a fast and some imodium. However, on the eve of my birthday, I found myself in such pain abdominally that I had two visit the local doctor and clinic at the nearby village. Medical care is universal and free throughout Ecuador and with the help of the translator, it get some medication and am on my way. Kindly the staff and students have been preparing a surprise song and cake for my birthday at supper as we will be on the road for my actual birthday . However my pain is significant and I cannot join them though I hate to disappoint everyone. The medication is supposed to relieve the pain in less than two hours. Three hours go by and the pain has not changed. ( no its not my appendix ! Stop worrying all my medical friends and family ! ). A phone call is placed to a Dr in Canada and I chat with her via a satellite phone and she adjust the dosage of the medication.

4 hours later the pain finally breaks at 2:30 am. Two hours later a massive thunder and lightning storm rolls through the area and I'm treated to a spectacular display of light and sound - one of my favorite things! And so, for my 50th, I got my health back and a grand display of nature. What a great way to begin the day and to be reminded of the importance of some very basic things in life.

The ending of one journey in the Amazon and the beginning of another enroute to the Galapagos. Birthday cake, singing, kind words and wishes from the group I'm traveling with and from those back home make for a spectacular beginning to this next decade. I am truly blessed and I am filled with such feelings of gratitude today. Thank you all.

We shall party together soon. I promise !


2 comments:

  1. Ack! You poor thing!! Haha you know me well - my first thought was appendix! Take care my love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ross here avec Jes~!
    My first thought about your tummy "oh..... that is his third chakra all about power and control!"
    Miss You
    Ross

    ReplyDelete